Thursday, December 6, 2007

Jon and Jon

Vocals happened, and i think all is well... though, my body's natural reaction to listening back to my own voice is often something indescribable in which i partially close my right eye, draw my chin back into my neck, force my adam's apple forward and squint my eyes... to me, it seems that putting headphones on is the equivalent of detuning two out of three guitar tracks by 1/3 and 1/2 of a semitone respectively, and then playing them all together and telling me to sing on pitch.

i'll have a better idea where we stand after some chop-shop and comp work tonight.

it's worth heading over to www.jonmayer.com and reading through his blog section. that is a man who's understanding of music is something i pursue. equally exciting is the aggressiveness with which he pursues those aspects of music which he has yet to understand. just read it. it will forever change your opinion of him as a songwriter and musician. i also love how he shamelessly admits to adoring pop music, and making an honest effort to write the perfect 'pop' song. he's in no state of suspended reality... he knows it's a cash grab and a marketing miracle, so it's something he confronts with enthusiasm. he's found a way to push himself to unbelievable heights musically, and develop his craft beyond all of his peers, and then still turn around and put his own spin on a 3 minute single.

J

No comments: