Thursday, September 11, 2008

this one is weird.

If i die before we talk again, can i ask for something?

don't do the whole funeral operation for me, k? no expensive casket, no flowers, no walking silently down the centre aisle. tell you what, do it like this. i'll draw it out. i'm serious. if you don't hear from me between now and then, here's how to do it:

- cremate me. i don't have much interest in being left in the ground. take my ashes, and let them go somewhere outside. doesn't matter much where, i guess. even just a field. just, on god's good earth.

- no ceremony. if you need to have a public moment, for the family and such, then do it quick, and wear jeans.

- after that, everybody is invited to a to be determined location for a bbq. have some drinks, and enjoy each other. go ahead and laugh. turn up the music. i'm cool with it. the only money spent on my funeral should be the money that goes into the burgers and beer for the bbq. and, i guess, the cremation is probably all kinds of money. and when it happens, however it happens, and then this comes up, and everybody goes.. well, he SAID that he wanted it that way, but.. you know.. he can't have really thought it through.. cause, we REALLY should have it in the church with the casket..' stop. i've thought it through.

why am i saying this...

i guess tonight i decided that i was ready. i was out for a walk, and i thought about it, and eventually came to the decision that i was good with it. and my life has nothing to do with ceremonial tradition, and doing everything the way it's always been done, and following protocol, and neither does my faith, and neither should my funeral. i'm not saying i'm a hippy who wants a wild and wacky funeral.

i'm just saying.. whatever you're like when you're at your best... when you're most comfortable, having the most fun.. that's what it should be like. sooo.. for me... walking up the fairway on a quiet morning, or playing guitar out on the patio... so make it like that.

J

1 comment:

Mel said...

You're right - that one WAS weird. I can't tell if it was cool or depressing. I suppose it's something one thinks about, but still kinda weird.

How are you guys? You should see the mountains out here. I've started walking the track out here by Dave's folks place, and the whold time I'm surrounded by mountains. AMAZING!!!! You and Kar should come and visit - I'm not kidding!!! Come any time...