Friday, January 16, 2009

Hi!

PART 1

Let me tell you about my new love: cooking.

It's turning into something guys, seriously. Lately, Kar has been working late at the lab, and so I've been the dinner preparer for a while now. Turns out I actually really enjoy it! I've been wading into new waters, as well. The other night, I made what was probably my best dish to date... what I'll call my oven grilled butter/rosemary talapia. A clean white filet glazed with melted butter, coated in a dash of oregano, a double dash of rosemary, and a snatch of BBQ chicken spice, oven baked alongside chopped and scattered white onion, and served with a side of sauteed button mushrooms. Man... read that again and tell me you didn't have to swallow a few times.

My other current best dish is grilled BBQ chicken legs (I've developed a bad-ass homemade BBQ sauce for this one) with golden mash and asparagus.

Additionally, a good salad is imperative. Romaine greens, chopped hotmix pickles and perpencino peppers, white onion, cheese, and a homemade vinaigrette (veg oil, vinaigrette, salt, pepper, spices, garlic).

It's good eating at the Bartel/Founks. Cmon by! (just let me know you're coming first!)


PART 2



If you can find it, this is a record I highly recommend. I've been spinning this daily as of late. It's instrumental, live. Bela Fleck is probably the more well known to most of you. He's probably the world's premier banjo player, and is a master of using the instrument to do things you wouldn't typically do with it. He strays far from the traditional folk/bluegrass landscape and takes the banjo into jazz grooves, and, often most impressively, classical pieces from the likes of bach.

Edgar Meyer is to the double bass (standup bass) what Bela is to banjo. A virtuoso talent, visionary, and creative genius who does things with the instrument that are atypical in the least.

The record is all over the place. Classical waltz, folk jive, atmospheric wanderings.. with some additional piano work as a compliment. I've been finding it (as, it seems, I tend to find most good music) extremely pleasant and calming as a background to my days work, but also extremely challenging and involving when listened to actively.

Check it out! (I'd suggest you start with the song 'Blue Spruce' for a first listen)



Happy Friday!
JB

2 comments:

Jake Wiebe said...

cooking i find is a bit like music/creating music. if it's done right, you end up with something you savor and can't wait to have again. screw it up, and you end up with something very nicklebackish...should be thrown out, but you made it, so you eat it. you'll never make it again though.

james klassen said...

that sounds tasty! charlotte and i just made something similar while she was home for christmas.

warm up some butter enough so you can mash it up, throw in some lemon zest, and juice, a herb of your choice, (we used rosemary but dill is amazing in it as well) and some salt and pepper, slosh that on some salmon or what have you and you are rolling!

lets make beautiful food together sometime.