Monday, February 23, 2009

Down To Earth

I'm listening to the soundtrack for WALL-E right now. It's a beautiful cacophony of semi-human, robotic, organic, and completely arbitrary sounds pulled together and knitted in alongside some really beautiful swooping melodies and themes. It's actually really stunning.

Kar and I have decided to start listening to more soundtracks. It really is some of the most beautiful and emotionally charged music out there. And from a creative standpoint, some of this stuff is so huge.

I've been very fortunate over the past little bit to have the opportunity to second engineer on some orchestral sessions with some great guys here in the city. It's a fascinating process, and massively involved. There's so much going on, and so much that can go wrong, when you have 50+ players, and so many layers, parts, textures. And then, when it all comes together, it's stunning how huge it can be. To sit in a room with a full orchestra coming together to play a great piece is an experience I wish on everybody.

What to do tonight?

I'm playing guitar more now than I think I ever have. I'm drawn to it. And I need for things to fall together. I'm eager to play with people. I want badly to be a part of a musical community, and to create with other people. It's coming. But slowly. I don't really have interest in doing it alone anymore. I can write and record records till I die, by myself, locked up in a studio. It always lacks life. I'm in that state of mind where anything is possible, and I'm ready to jump. I feel like there are really exciting things just inches from my grasp, and my energy level is higher than it's ever been on that front.

All the scale-playing and early mornings, getting in, warming up, and doing the hard work of getting better technically is paying off. If nothing else, I have the very distinct feeling of being much more in control of my fingers. Which sounds odd, but changes everything. Everything is opening up. Kindof like when you decide to start eating better, and going for walks after work, and all of a sudden you start noticing that waking up is easier, and you've got more energy and patience late in the day. Everything is sortof connected, and I'm finding that as I build up more of a base, musically, everything else becomes more realistic.

More on music in the future. I think things will be picking up soon!

JB

No comments: