Wednesday, June 17, 2009

RunRunRun


Me and El Hefe (Jeff) looking soaked, sweaty, and pumped.

My buddy Jeff is into running.

You guys know that I've never been into running. I always hated it. It was hard, and it felt completely unrewarding.. like there was no reason for me to be out there doing such a preposterous thing anyway..

Anyway, a while back, Jeff asked me if I wanted to start running with him. So I got myself some cheap runners (all-stars don't cut it for this type of thing..) and hit the pavement. It was terrible. I came back feeling the same way I always had about it.

Then, about a week ago, Jeff got me to go again. I think the fact that it coincided with my feeling a bit restless.. ready to start summer-life.. had to help. So anyway, we did a 4km loop around our neighborhood. And something weird happened... I LOVED it! I wasn't good at it. In fact, I made it about 3km before I had to shut it down and walk the rest of the way. I guess sitting at a computer for a living will do that to a guy.

But there was something about it that just sucked me in. So I went out again on my own the next day, and pounded out the full 4km, and it felt fantastic. My breathing was better, my feet felt stronger, and while I was totally wasted when I got back, I felt like I was clearer, and more alive.

So I headed out again the next day.. two days ago. This time I managed 5Km. And oddly, I finished feeling like I could have done another one at least. The recovery was quick, and again... I just felt great.

So, naturally, I entered a race.

There's a running club that runs in the park behind our house. I say park... it's more like a trail that goes from our area and connects all the way down to the Don Valley, and from there, into downtown. The race today was a 5Km. It was pouring rain, but we were pretty pumped up about it.

I gotta say, it was fantastic. I ran a 26min, 05 seconds. (Jeffy banged out a new PB, something in the 22 range or something). I can't describe it. The park is beautiful. Dirt (mud) and asphalt trails winding through forest with a big creek winding through it. Being out there on your own is incredible. I'm all alone.. as a direct result of the fact that I'm running a 26 while everybody else is pounding out 22s with Jeff. Pounding along on my own, counting my breathing, listening to my steps, and the creek... looking around at everything, just enjoying it.. I loved it. And the idea of tackling a personal challenge is also so cool. I've had a lot of that with guitar... forcing myself to learn new tunes, climbing the hills of technicality... it's like that, except so much more physical. Crossing the line at the end, I'm a mess, full of sweat and rain and mud, and you just feel like you worked for it.

Anyway, more to come. Gonna keep things going over the summer. I'm still in the early stage, where the improvement comes quickly. I know it'll get tough quick. For now, I'm loving it.

Side note: immediately following the race, Jeff, Kim, Karen and I went to McDonalds. I ordered a Big Mac combo. With Coke. Life is a game of balance......
JB

4 comments:

Chuck D said...

this is definetly the last thing i would have thought you'd try.

good work though!

Jimmy Whitfield said...

i'm very proud. i've sort of lost it since i've been home but i did a lot of running for the first time in my life at school, too. its a better quality of life my friend. it will improve many things. keep at it. we'll run next time i'm in town maybe.

Jon Bartel said...

done and done. and as for a specific date.. that will be July 11th weekend. i'm home. i'm solo. book it.
JB

Jeff said...

That was a great run. The winning time was an absurd 16:40.

Perhaps if we cut out the post-race McD's we could get there eventually.

Shall we crank it up a notch this weekend? 6k? 7?