Monday, March 9, 2009

I'll Show You Battle Studies

Alright, so I'm not sure if any of you are following John Mayer these days. He's doing this thing called 'Battle Studies'. If you go to www.johnmayer.com, he's got a blog going that he's regularly updating with pics and vids and everything that's going into making his new record. It's a totally cool experiment designed to make the whole process transparent. The whole idea being that a clearly commercial endeavor becomes more of a 'together' experience, where we all get to have a bit of a part in it as it goes along.

So, I'm not yet working on a new record, per se. Just new songs. New ideas that will someday become something, I'm sure. But I like the idea. So stick around. Tonight, I'm going in to record a new track. It's called 'I've Got This Road'. It's going down straight to tape. Well.. straight to binary. The point being, we're gonna do it in a one take run. 3 mics, one guitar, one voice. Time to figure out where I stand as a player.... Incidentally, it's also a good excuse to test drive a new Neumann Digital we just got in. This one's a handheld, with something like a U87 capsule. We were playing with it the other day, and she sounds warm.

The song'll be up here, so check back.

More to come!

JB

No comments: