Monday, January 21, 2008

monitor monitor, weekend wonders

A weekend of salacious excitement:

- Kar was in London for the weekend, so I managed to immediately slump into 'boy mode' on Friday night, and I never quite left for the rest of the weekend ('boy mode' describes my characteristic slouch into eating 3/4 of a frozen pizza, drinking beer, walking around without my pants on, recording for 3 hours straight without breaks, watching war movies, eating bacon, and watching football as soon as I'm on my own for a few hours. 'boy mode' also, incidentally, describes my entire life as a bachelor living on my own.)

- the better part of the weekend was spent recording. I borrowed a few really cool mics from CTV, along with a few other trappings, and i managed to get the ball rolling on 4 more songs. eeps! that brings our grand total to 9 ladies and gentlemen!

- Kar came back on saturday, which was nice (i was lonely), and on Saturday night, I played hockey. We won. We're on a big push to win out the regular season. It will put us in a great spot heading into the playoffs and likely secure our entry into the A side of the playoff draw. As an aside, i set up the winning goal on Saturday, but..you know.. it's not like it's a big deal or anything.

- Sunday morning I did sound in church. In the beginning it was a disaster. Let me paint you a picture. Drummer plays really loud. Band decides to place drummer directly in the middle behind the band, despite the fact that he usually hangs out way on the right side where he can be in his own 'zone'. Band can't hear anything. Singers continually ask for more monitor. Singers still can't hear anything. Drummer is doing his best to quiet down, but he just isn't very quiet. Singers are getting angry. I can't give more monitor, cause the monitors are now feeding back like the guns of the navaho. I bear down on the monitor EQ and huck out the entire bottom end, and thankfully, things start to clear up, but not before everybody is edgy and complaining.

It's fun trying to figure out problems on the fly. It becomes less fun when people get nasty. Most everyone in the band was helpful and generally accomodating. Especially the backline guys (drums, bass). They worked with me to try and solve the problem.

In the end, we got the big brick off the ground in time for the service, and things went smoothly enough from that point on.

- sunday afternoon was lunch and hanging out with Nik and Kirstina. fun.

- sunday evening, i magiver'd this makeshift TV antenna with a role of 22 gauge wire, a pair of headphones, and a set of needlenose. CTV, clear as a bell. Which was all i needed, cause they were carrying the FOX feed of the AFC and NFC championship games. Giants baby.


weekend well spent.

later,
J

2 comments:

Mel said...

What church are you guys going to? Great to hear you're doing sound. Have you found a Care Group, or that sort of thing?

grant said...

go giants.
great writing. keep it up bud.
talk to you soon